Monday, October 13, 2014

Doctor Who

        Another important interest of mine that was introduced to me by my father was one that I didn't even enjoy at the time. Doctor Who is a long-running British science fiction show about a 2,000 year old alien, called the Doctor, who travels through time and space with his human companion. When I was in seventh grade, my dad decided to show me an episode of the show that featured clown-like automatons that were a police force in a dystopian space station in which the entire British population (except Scotland... they wanted their own ship) resided. Being a young child, the Smilers (as the robots were called) terrified me and I had some issues falling to sleep that night. However, with some trepidation, I tried the show again and truely enjoyed it.
         Since then, I have seen every single episode of the show since its re-boot in 2005 and it is by far my favorite thing on television. I love the show so much because of its changeability. Each episode has its own genre, from horror to comedy and sometimes even romance, all with science fiction undertones. Even the shows main characters don't stay the same. In Doctor Who's 50 year lifespan, its viewers have known 13 different Doctors and countless companions. Personally, my favorite Doctor will always be the 11th, Matt Smith, lover of bow ties and other eccentricities. However, each actor to play the Doctor has brought his own unique spin to the role. For instance, the current Doctor, Peter Capaldi, is a departure from past incarnations in that he lacks the mercy and constant humor that many of his past "selves" have had. Doctor Who has changed the way I think, making me more optimistic and secure in myself. It is an amazing show and I will enjoy it forever.

















No comments:

Post a Comment